For a Tech-Savvy Personalization Strategy, Focus on Humans
In other words, technology is only as effective as the strategy it enables. With some notable exceptions, technologists tend not to be as oriented toward developing customer-centric messaging. Traditional approaches to brand planning focus on the consumer insight but not necessarily across a wide variety of targets united by behavior and interests, demographics, psychographics, or even random affinities.
Life stage marketing fails can be nightmares for brands, especially when consumers have no way to remove themselves from targeted pools that might not apply to them anymore. Whether it’s a person being fed bridal ads after a failed engagement or someone seeing baby ads after suffering a miscarriage or an incomplete adoption, these marketing fails are hurting brands’ reputations, wasting money and actually hurting consumers. When done properly, personalization can increase ROI of digital advertising but bad personalization costs all of us.
- Adding a more exacting data layer on a retailer’s website to pass more attributes to the content personalization engine. Instead of serving up an ad for the general product viewed, we should be serving up an ad for the specific style, size, and color of what was left behind in the consumers cart paired with a “scarcity trigger” about limited stock or an offer when that particular size and color goes on sale.
- Creating a strategic, structured content journey that provides rich profiling opportunities such as using “capture content” types like quiz objects for more than just engagement. Online quizzes have high potential virality and engagement, but they’re also a rich source of data to refine a customer’s profile. Adding profiling questions to “opt-in” opportunities (e.g. one optional, important profile-informing field on an email newsletter opt-in form) could help personalize the content experience from that point forward.
- Multivariate testing can be thought of as an optimization and cost reduction tactic. Testing is also highly valuable for refining our customer profiles.
- Behavior trumps persona and focusing on behavior helps us find the worthwhile edge cases.
- Sponsored content and digital ads can be included in the content journey to help better understand the target.
Want to know more?